1 week before your tan moisturise
- To prevent your tan from streaking and going patchy start moisturising your body and in particular your legs at least a couple of days before your tan to really hydrate those dry areas.
- For information on what organic moisturiser to use please go to the best organic body moisturiser
2 days before your tan start exfoliating
- If you are not a regular exfoliator, you will need to exfoliate for 2 days prior to your tanning appointment. This will ensure that you are thoroughly exfoliated and haven’t missed any areas. The payoff will be an even tan. Exfoliate your skin paying particular attention to knees, elbows and heels. You can use either an exfoliation mitt or a body scrub.
- For information on what organic body scrub to use please go to the best organic pre tan body scrub
1 day before your tan tint your eyebrows
- Tint your eyebrows, at least, 1 day prior to your tanning appointment.
- Prior to your tanning appointment lightly coat your eyebrows with vaseline to prevent them absorbing the tan.
- Do not tint your eyebrows after your tan as the tint will stick to the tan and turn your eyebrows yellow.
1 day before your tan wax/shave
- Any waxing or shaving should be done at least 24 hours prior to your appointment to ensure the pores of your skin are closed. Closed pores are super important because the last thing you want is for the tan to lodge in open pores and you end up looking like you have blackheads!
On the day of your tan
- Organise your shower so there is as much time as possible between your shower and your tan appointment so your skin has time to cool after your shower and the pores have time to close.
- Do not wear any moisturiser, oils, deodorant, make-up or perfume before being sprayed. These products act as a barrier and have a negative effect on your spray tan. They will turn you green!
- Tie your hair back off your face.
- Remove all jewellery.
What to wear for your spray tan
- You can wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. I recommend your worst underwear, the ones you keep at the back of the drawer that no-one is allowed to see. Most people wear a g-string to get the best tan possible, however it’s a personal choice so please wear what’s comfortable for you. You may wear underwear or not.
How long does it take?
- A spray tan can take about 10-15 minutes and with the heat systems on tanning machines you should be free to go out and enjoy the rest of your day within 20 minutes. However people have different levels of moisture in their skins so times will vary from person to person.
What to wear after your spray tan
- Wear light (preferably black or dark) loose fitting clothing. Avoid tight fitting pants as these will rub your tan off.
- Thongs for your feet.
- Bring an umbrella if rain is forecast. Rain is like bleach on a freshly sprayed tan.
- While the tan is processing be careful about activities that cause you to perspire more than normal as this will reduce the effect of the tanning solution. During the development time you should not allow your skin to become wet. If your skin does get splashed dab dry, do not rub, add a little bit of moisturiser to the affected area blending to an even colour.
For more information please see the following: