How to achieve the most flawless tan ever!
Before your tan
- Exfoliate your skin paying particular attention to knees, elbows and heels. Start exfoliating a couple of days before your tan. You can use either an exfoliation mitt or a body scrub. For information on what body scrub to use please read the best organic pre tan body scrub.
- Start moisturising your body and in particular your legs a couple of days before your tan to hydrate dry areas and to prevent patchiness. For information on what moisturiser to use please read the best organic body moisturiser.
- Your skin must be free of any moisturiser, oils, deodorants, make-up or perfumes before being sprayed. These products act as a barrier, and have a negative effect on your spray tan – they will turn you green!
- Any waxing or shaving should be done at least 24 hours prior to your appointment to ensure the pores of your skin are closed. Leave as long as possible between your shower and your tan so your skin has time to cool after your shower.
- Tint your eyebrows at least 24 hours prior to your appointment and at your appointment lightly coat with vaseline to prevent them absorbing the tan. Do not tint your eyebrows after your tan as the tint will stick to the tan and turn your eyebrows yellow.
- Tie your hair back off your face.
- Remove all jewellery.
What to wear for your spray tan
- Most people wear just a g-string to get the best tan possible, but this is a personal choice so wear what’s comfortable for you. You may wear underwear or not.
How long does it take?
- A spray tan can take about 10-15 minutes and with the heat systems on tanning machines you should be free to go out and enjoy the rest of your day within 20 minutes. However people have different levels of moisture in their skins so times will vary from person to person.
What to wear after your spray tan
- wear light (preferably black or dark) loose fitting clothing.
- Thongs for your feet.
- bring an umbrella if rain is forecast.
- Be careful about activities that cause you to perspire more than normal as this will reduce the effect of the tanning solution. During the development time you should not allow your skin to become wet. If your skin does get splashed dab dry, do not rub, add a little bit of moisturiser to the affected area blending to an even colour.
After your spray tan
- After leaving your tan to process for the required length of time depending on depth of colour you want to achieve rinse off in the shower with a hand wash.
- Do not scrub.
- Be careful of some shower gels as they can turn your tan orange as can some moisturisers.
- Pat yourself dry. Do not rub as you will rub your tan off.
- Each time you shower do not scrub and always pat yourself dry for the duration of the tan.
- Moisturise all over.
What moisturiser to use
- After you have rinsed off your tan moisturise, moisturise, moisturise.
- DO NOT USE Sorbolene, Q10 or Aveeno to moisturise because they are barrier creams and will rub your tan off and turn you green.
- Best moisturisers to use that will deliver ultimate hydration, prolong and enhance your tan is macadamia oil, olive oil, rosehip oil (face).
- Moisturise each day for the duration of your tan.
For information and tips on how to achieve the perfect wedding spray tan: